Friday, August 9, 2013

A Little of This and That

I remember asking my Grandma Squire to teach me how she made her famous cinnamon rolls and she told me you just get a few handfuls of flour add some sugar and cinnamon with a dash of salt.  That is exactly how she cooked!  And everything she made was with love and extra delicious.

This blog is sort of a hodgepodge of events starting with a fun girls trip to La Verkin, a trip to the St. George Cemetery, ending with a few pictures from my Aunt Lorna's birthday.

Gallacher Girls Trip


I never go to La Verkin in the summer because it's HOT.  But they only have Tuacahn shows in the summer and I have never seen a musical at Tuacahn, so this was the year to go! Sharlet, Brooklynn, Krystal and I decided to start the trip off on the right foot with pedicures! (Pun intended.)

We spent the next day shopping and tried out the famous drinks at a fun place called Swig.


That night we went to the play, Mulan.  It was in a small high school theater.  The actors were amazing and we loved it.


My parents served a mission in St. George about 18 years ago.  They provided tours at church historical sites.  At that time I went to most of the sites, but did not go to the Pine Valley Church because it was a bit of a drive.  I was ready to make that drive on this trip so we attended church at the old Pine Valley Church House.  It was beautiful and fun to take a step back in time.



A bonus for going to Pine Valley was running into my Aunt LoRene and Uncle Jim and some of my cousins! It was a treat to get to visit with them.
LoRene Turner, Cyndee Gallacher, Jim Turner

Then we drove to the St. George Cemetery to see what I thought was the rest of the graves of my ancestors that are buried in Utah.  But when I got ready to post this I looked through my list of ancestors and realized that I only saw two of the five that are buried in St. George! I still have two more that I missed in Provo, one in Draper and two buried in Mendon.  It is aggravating that I have been to the Provo and St. George Cemeteries and missed some of my ancestors! Oh well, I guess that means I get to take another road trip!

Brooklynn was quick to spot my mom's paternal great-grandfather, John Heinrich Gubler.  He was listed as Heinrich Gubler in a single grave as seen below.
Heinrich Gubler was born 19 February 1827 in Mulheim,Thurgau,Switzerland and
died 30 June 1876 in St. George, Utah. Plot A_I_202_b

Brooklynn was again the first to spot Anna Margerett Wickli Gubler Webb, wife of John Heinrich Gubler, listed as Margerett W. Gubler Webb as seen below. 
Anna Margerett Wickli was born in Rappersweil, St. Gallen, Switzerland on 7 January 1841 and died on 1 November 1896 in St. George, Utah. Plot A_C_56_2

I was surprised that they were not buried together, but I did not realize that Margerett remarried a Thomas Webb on 15 May 1879.  Her second marriage was listed in my genealogy file, but it's funny how sometimes that information does not stick until you go and see their grave in person.  I love how it makes a person real.

Because of this visit to the cemetery I looked into my 2nd great-grandparents and found that Margerett Wickli was the second wife of John Heinrich Gubler, which formed a plural marriage as he was currently married to Anna Maria Dietschweiler, who outlived both Heinrich and Margerett.  Anna Maria died in 1900 in Chihuahua, Mexico.

The next day was the grand finale of our Gallacher Girls Trip!  We saw Mary Poppins at Tuacahn.  It was fabulous, outstanding, wonderful and amazing!  




My Aunt Lorna recently celebrated her birthday.  Here are a few pictures that my Uncle Adrien took of her with the Squire clan.
Lorna Birthday 2013
 

A blast from the past:
Dot, Lorna, Jerald, DuWayne

Lorna, Jerald, DuWayne




No comments:

Post a Comment