Sunday, July 22, 2012

Oliver Stratton



Oliver Stratton - My 3rd Great Grandfather
Born: 24 June 1818
Died: 21 August 1879

I wanted today’s entry to be about another Mormon pioneer ancestor in honor of Pioneer Day.  I was unable to find another story, but I did find on the church history site in LDS.org that my maternal 3rd great grandparents came in 1849.  Oliver Stratton, my 3rd great grandfather was born on 24 June 1818 in Bedford County, Tennessee.  Oliver married Harriett Ann Brown on 22 August 1841 in Hancock, Illinois.  Oliver, age 31, and Harriett, age 23, crossed the plains with their three young children, James Albert, age 5 (2nd great-grandfather), Melissa Ann, age 3, and baby Oliver.  They traveled west with the Allen Taylor Company.  I am grateful to my pioneer ancestors that were willing to leave their homes to follow the prophet and build Zion in Utah.  Oliver and Harriet settled in Provo, Draper, and finally in Virgin City, Washington County, Utah.  They had a total of twelve children.

So far I only know of six ancestors that blazed the trail to the west.  There are probably more, but I will have to look another day.  I found the picture of Oliver Stratton on Findagrave.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment