Sunday, August 12, 2012

Amelia Sanders Squire Obituary

I had to do some digging to find this obituary of my Grandma Squire.  I could not find it online, but luckily my dad had a copy.  I love this lady so much.  You felt loved and important whenever you were in her presence.  I have included her famous recipes (cinnamon rolls and molasses) under the heading "Know Your Ancestors."


Amelia Squire



LAVERKIN, Utah – Amelia Sanders Squire, 96, died Nov. 7, 1995 at the home of her daughter, Sandra Howard, in Leeds, Utah.  Born Oct. 3, 1899, in Millville, Utah to William and Sarah Amelia Wilson Sanders.  She married Loren DeLance Squire on Oct. 22, 1918, in LaVerkin.  Their marriage was later solemnized in the Salt Lake City LDS Temple.
                Amelia was reared and educated in LaVerkin.  She came from a pioneer family.  She loved cooking, sewing, and doing handiwork.  After turning 90 years old, Amelia made more than 100 crochet shawls.  She will be remembered for her cinnamon rolls and molasses candy.  Amelia is an active member of the LDS Church and has lived a Christ-like life all her life.  Her family was the most important thing in her life.  She always put others first and was a loving wife, mother, sister, neighbor and grandmother.  She will be greatly missed by all.
                Survivors include children, DeLance W. and wife Dorothy Squire of Orem, Utah; Phil E. and wife Ruth Squire of St. George; Don S. Squire of Hurricane, Utah; DuWayne and wife Helen Squire of LaVerkin, Utah; Jerald and wife Lorna Squire of Pleasant Grove, Utah; Adrien and wife Louise Squire of Bountiful, Utah; Scott O. and wife Arva Dean Squire of Orem, Utah; Mrs. James “LoRene” Turner of Las Vegas, Nevada; Mrs. Alan “Sandra” Howard of Leeds, Utah; 50 grandchildren; 104 great-grandchildren; three great-great-grandchildren; sisters, Mrs. Allen “Lucille” Humphries, Delma Dutton and brother, Owen Sanders, all of Hurricane, Utah.  She was preceded in death by her husband and an infant daughter.
                Funeral services are Saturday, Nov. 11, 1995, 1 p.m. at the LaVerkin LDS Stake Center.  Friends may call Friday evening from 6 until 7:30 p.m. at the Spilsbury & Beard Hurricane Mortuary, 525 W. State Street, and also on Saturday at the Stake Center from 11:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. Interment will follow at the LaVerkin Cemetery under the direction of Spilsbury and Beard Mortuary.
~The Spectrum – Thursday, November 9, 1995 (St. George, Utah)

4 comments:

  1. This is one of my great great grandmas child. I'm doing my family history in church and I was searching up more about her. I found this, and it all matches up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alyssa, I am glad that you were able to gain something useful from my blog. My dad, DuWayne Squire, was raised for 6 years in the home of William & Sarah Amelia Sanders. He remembers your great grandma (his aunt), Delma, with great fondness. Jerald married Lorna Hinton. Good luck with your family history search!

      Delete
  2. Also my great grandma, Delma Dutton is still alive in Hurricane Utah where my mother is originally from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you happen to know Jerald P Squire's wife's full name i need it for my family history.

    ReplyDelete