Sunday, October 28, 2012

Cemetery Tour - Day 1 Continued - Manti



I spent quite a bit of time at the Spring City Cemetery, eating my lunch and enjoying the sweet peace.  Therefore, I got to the Manti Cemetery late in the afternoon and by the time I found all of my ancestors the shadows were long, which made it difficult to take clear pictures of the inscriptions.  So I decided to stay over night in Manti and returned the next morning to take pictures before heading on to the next stop. 

Unfortunately, the temple was closed for cleaning for two weeks, but at least I could see this gorgeous view across the street from my fabulous motel, the Temple View Lodge.


Manti Cemetery


I have previously written posts on most of the ancestors that I found at the Manti Cemetery.  If you look through past blogs you can refresh your memory.  I found the following ancestors in Manti, John P. Squire (paternal ggf), John Prichard Squire and Adelia DeMIll (paternal 2ggf/m), Freeborn DeMill & Anna Knight (3ggf/m), and Cannie Christena Kenney Squire Peterson (paternal ggm), along with a few of their relatives.

The first Squire that I found was my paternal great-grandfather's firstborn, John Squire, born to his first wife, Annie/Anna.  Next to John's tombstone was his mother's, Annie, first wife of John P. Squire. On the other side of Annie was her daughter, Ruth.  Next to Ruth was my great-grandfather, John P. Squire, Jr.  These tombstones were all in a row facing east.  Across from John P. Squire on the east was his parents' tombstone, John Prichard Squire, Sr. and Adelia DeMill, facing west.

This is a view of the above mentioned tombstones.  The front left grave belongs to John Prichard Squire, Sr. and Adelia DeMill.  The front right, flat tombstone is John, Jr.'s and his two infants and wife are the three white tombstones south of his towards the temple.   Here they are up close:
This is the back of my 2nd great-grandparents' tombstone, John Prichard Squire, Sr. and Adelia DeMill.  If you recall, John Prichard Squire, Sr. was asked by Lorenzo Snow to look after his family while he served a three-year mission in Italy (see June post.)  It was hard to get a clear picture of this tombstone as the sandstone has weathered away.



John P. Squire
Born in Ohio
Mar. 24, 1824
Died April 25, 1872
Adelia D. Squire
Born Sept. 29, 1832
Died Dec. 20, 1917

Plat A Block 11 Lot 26 Grave 1

My great-grandfather, John Prichard Squire, Jr. was buried next to his parents, first wife, Annie, and their infant children.  His second wife and my great-grandmother, Cannie Christena Kenney, is buried in this cemetery, but a plat away next to her second husband.
Father
John P. Squire Jr.
Oct. 9, 1856 - Aug 18, 1932

Plat A Block 11 Lot 21 Grave 4

John P. Squire's first wife, Annie, had a broken tombstone.  She is placed in between her two infant children, John and Ruth.
Annie
Wife of
John P. Squire
Born

May 7, 1868
Died
Nov. 5, 1895
John L.
Son of
John P. & Annie
Squire
Born July 30, 1892
Died Mar. 10, 1893


Ruth
Daughter of
John P. & Annie
Squire
Born Oct. 24, 1895
Died Sept. 3, 1896

Adelia DeMill's parents, Freeborn DeMill and Anna Knight, were found several rows away from the above, but still in Plat A.  You can read more about Adelia Knight DeMill in my Pioneer Ancestry blog from June.  It appears that I have not yet written about Freeborn DeMille.  I look forward to researching and blogging about him in the future.

 Anna Knight DeMill is the larger sandstone tombstone.  The writing is all washed out and the Daughters of Utah Pioneers have placed the following plaque over the original.  The flat tombstone belongs to her husband, Freeborn DeMill, also a Utah Pioneer and member of the Mormon Battalion.

Across the arch of the tombstone: 
Dedicated to the Memory
Plaque:
Anna Knight DeMill
Born March 5, 1804
Halifax, Vermont
Daughter of
Joseph Knight & Polly Peck
Married Freeborn DeMill
Died July 22, 1878 Manti

Plat A Block 15 Lot 17 Grave 1

Freeborn DeMill
Pvt Utah Ter Militia
Indian Wars
March 22, 1795 - Jan 23 1881

Plat A Block 15 Lot 17 Grave 2

Finally, I found my great-grandma Squire Peterson.  I have already written two blogs on Cannie Christena Kenney Squire Peterson.  I found it very telling to find my great-grandma buried next to her second husband, Frederick Walter Peterson.  He was buried with his first wife, Anna Thomine, and Cannie was next to them.

Mother
Christena K.S. Peterson
Jan. 12, 1879 - Feb. 19, 1948

Plat B Block 5 Lot 14 Grave 3

F. Walter
Peterson
1870 - 1932
His Wife
Anna Thomine
1871 - 1920

Manti was a gold mine as I found six ancestors along with a few of their relatives. It was a beautiful cemetery with a wonderful view of the Manti Temple across the street. So far on my road trip I have visited eleven of the sixteen graves in just three cemeteries.  Next week I will review the final five graves in four cemeteries.






No comments:

Post a Comment