Sunday, October 21, 2012

Cemetery Tour - Day 1- Provo & Spring City

I had so much fun visiting the LaVerkin Cemetery a few weeks ago that it inspired me to locate the rest of my ancestors that are buried in Utah.  I located and identified my ancestors on FindAGrave.com and mapped out a cemetery road trip.  I spent two days visiting sixteen graves in seven cemeteries.  I had a blast finding and discovering new things about my progenitors. 

Provo City Cemetery

Edson Barney, my maternal third great-grandfather, is buried in the Provo City Cemetery, along with his first wife, Lillis, and their oldest daughter, Alice Malena Barney, with her husband, Alexander Wilkins, and Alexander's other wife, Eliza A. 




































 Edson Barney was following the law of plural marriage and his second wife, Louisa Walker, is the line that I descend from.  Louisa is buried in the Annabella Cemetery.  Edson and Louisa Walker Barney were "Aunt May's" grandparents.  To learn more about "Aunt May" (Mary Amelia Hunt) check out my previous post regarding the LaVerkin Cemetery.
As I mentioned, Edson had a shared tombstone.  I took pictures of each side as follows:


South Side
In Memory of Edson Barney
Born June 30, 1806
Died Feb. 2, 1905
In Memory of Lillis Barney
Born April 20, 1805
Died Dec. 23, 1897



West Side
Alice Malena Barney
wife of Alexander Wilkins
Born in Ohio
May 25, 1835
Died Nov. 14, 1916
 
North Side
In Loving Remembrance of
Alexander Wilkins
Born Jul. 9, 1835
Died May 23, 1902
East Side
In Memory of
Eliza A. Wilkins
wife of Alexander Wilkins
Born Dec. 10, 1837
Died May 9, 1906

























Spring City Cemetery

About seventy miles southwest of Provo is the small town of Spring City.  I was very excited to stop here as I had read on FindAGrave that I should find five of my ancestors buried in the Spring City Pioneer Cemetery.  This is a very small cemetery built in the shape of Utah with less than fifty headstones.  I walked back and forth hunting for my ancestors, but to no avail. 

   
 I left discouraged, but decided to ask at the gas station where the main Spring City Cemetery was located.  It was a few blocks away on West Hwy 117.  They had a nice map with all of the plots labeled and I was able to find all five of the ancestors I was hoping to locate!

The grave I was hoping to find first, I found last, but I will start with her first.  Cannie T.(Tullgren) Kenney is my paternal second great-grandma.  Cannie died ten days after giving birth to my great-grandma, Cannie Christena Kenney Squire Peterson.  She is buried a few rows west of her parents, Axel Tullgren and Ellen Neilsen, and her brother, Axel P. Tullgren (Uncle Axel).
Cannie T. Kenney
Aug. 16, 1858
Jan. 22, 1879

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I have enjoyed following all of the posts and this one is especially impressive. We are all benefiting from your dedication, research and time. Great post!

    ReplyDelete