Sunday, February 17, 2013

Loren DeLance Squire Family History Chapter 1

When I started this blog last June I had no idea how to start a blog, but I knew I needed to do it. My dad has a filing cabinet full of histories and genealogies and I knew I needed a way to share this information with my relatives. By following the prompting to start a genealogy blog I have had some amazing experiences and opportunities. I have felt the spirit working through me and I hope that you can feel the spirit of family history too. My dad recently gave me a digitized copy of my Grandfather Loren DeLance Squire's personal history and genealogy. I will be sharing my grandpa's genealogy and history one chapter at a time. I can just picture him sitting in his chair in the LaVerkin home with his twinkling eyes and smile, talking with his happy, but cracking voice.  I am so excited to hear his words telling us his story!  
          

                                       Loren DeLance Squire

                                                 

A Genealogy
and
Family History
LOREN DeLANCE SQUIRE 
1898-1991 
Dedicated to my sons - daughters and grandchildren 
Second Edition 2004 

Preface to the Second Edition 

Loren D. Squire produced his life story in 1960, and his original volume of 51 pages was cerlox bound and distributed to family members during his lifetime. Since then, xeroxed copies have circulated among family and friends. This second edition preserves the typed text as Loren wrote it, but adds images and information to enhance the historic interest of both the family history and Loren's autobiography. This edition also includes another, shorter life sketch that Loren recorded in 1978.

To provide corrections or other information, or to obtain copies of this book, contact Harold H. Hendricks, 1384 W 1460 N, Provo, UT, 84604; 801 375-7884. 


CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 

It's May tenth, 1960...for a number of years I have planned (when I got older) to write or attempt to write and compile a history, as far as I know it of my forefathers and family up to and including my own. But as I read the obituary column in the papers, I have come to the conclusion that it is later than I think. I was sixty-two last birthday and quite often I read of those I knew in my youth who have answered the last call and gone on. I do feel that I am good for a number of years yet. However, my ambition to do hard manual labor for any length of time has left me. I do like to putter around in the shop and the garden and many of the lighter jobs on the farm. In fact, the following bit of verse about fits my description.

How do I know my youth is all spent?
Well, my "get up and go" has got up and went-­But in spite of it all, I am able to grin
When I think where my "get up and go" has been.
Old age is golden, so I've heard said,
But sometimes I wonder as I crawl out of bed; with my ears in the drawer, my teeth in a cup, My eyes on the table until I wake up.

Ere sleep dims my eyes I say to myself,
"Is there anything else I should have laid on the shelf?" 
And I'm happy to say, that it's for damn sure
My friends are the same or just a bit more.
When I was young my slippers were red,
I could kick up my heels right over my head. 
When I grow older my slippers are blue
But still I could dance the whole night through.

Now I am old my slippers are black,
I walk to the store and puff my way back.
But I really don't mind when I think with a grin
of all the grand places my "get up" has been.

Since I retired from life's competition, I busy myself with complete repetition.
I get up each morning, dust off my wits, Pick up the paper and read the "obits."
If my name is still missing, I know I'm not dead; So I get a good breakfast and get back in bed. The reason I know my youth is all spent-
Is--my "get up and go" has got up and went.

 I have always liked to read and I do like to do research on the genealogy of my forefathers. I now regret very much that I did not write down many things of interest of family history told me in my youth by my parents and grandmother Squire, the only grandparent on my father's side I ever saw. I just remember bits and not enough in most instances to make connections. As most of you, my sons and daughters, know very little of the Squire side of the family history. I will start and go as far back as I have record of or in some instances back to where they came to America. 

Notes from Cyndee:
  • Loren's Grandmother Squire was Adelia DeMille
  • Loren included a 5 generation chart, but I was unable to keep that portion as a PDF so that the ancestries lined up correctly.  Therefore, I am leaving it out of this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment