Saturday, February 23, 2013

Loren DeLance Squire Family History Chapter 2

In this chapter my grandfather writes about his grandfather, John Prichard Squire.  John Prichard Squire was baptized by Lorenzo Snow.  John's oldest sister, Harriet Amelia Squire, married Lorenzo Snow, becoming his fourth wife.  When Lorenzo Snow went on his mission to Italy he asked my 2nd great grandfather, John Prichard Squire, to care for his family in his absence.


CHAPTER TWO
SQUIRE LINE HISTORY



In the year 1670 there lived in Newbury Essex County, Massachusetts near the coast of the Atlantic ocean, a man by the name of Phillip Squire who married a woman by the name of Rachel Ruggles. On March 20, 1671, they had a son born to them and named him Phillip Jr., who later married a woman by the name of Mary and to them a son was born on October 31, 1694, and given the name of Thomas. Thomas married Grace Price and to them a son was born on Feb. 21, 1729 who they named Ezekiel. He was forty-seven years old when the Revolutionary War started and was a ship builder for the Colonies during the war. All the above had made their homes in Newbury, with most of them being born there. It would be most interesting to go back there and visit the old cemeteries and read its history.

Ezekiel and his wife, Mary had a son they named Ezekiel Jr., born Oct. 19, 17--in Ludlow, Mass. He died Nov. 3, 1809. He married Margaret Stikes (some records have it Sikes) and to them a son was born September 19, 1795 and given the name of Aaron. Aaron married Elizabeth Prichard in the summer of 1818. She was born April 26 1796. To them were born eleven children, the fourth being a son on March 30, 1824, in Bainbridge, Geauga County, Ohio, and given the name of John Prichard Squire (my grandfather).
I found an old notebook among other papers in a box of old papers that evidently my father had gathered up after his mother's death. In this notebook Grandfather had listed his children with the date, day, and time of their birth and a short history of his life, written in a clear good hand. He tells of living on a farm claimed by his father that he had taken up in Bainbridge, Ohio, which is about 20 miles south of Kirtland. Lorenzo Snow, who later became president of the church was born in Mantua, Ohio, about nine miles southeast of Bainbridge, the birthplace of my Grandfather. Mr. Snow after becoming a convert of the L.D.S. Church, did quite extensive missionary work in Ohio. Grandfather relates of reading a tract on Mormonism written by Lorenzo Snow in the year 1844. He and his sister, five years older than he, were the only ones of the family to join the church. His sister, Harriet Amelia became the fourth wife of Lorenzo Snow sometime in 1846 and their first child a daughter, was born July 16, 1847 before leaving the next April for Utah. After coming to Utah they made their home in Brigham City. In his history Grandfather tells of his being attacked and bitten by a dog at the age of eight. The dog tearing most of his clothing off. Also of falling from a horse, at the age of eleven striking his head on a rock which resulted in cutting a gash in his head leaving his skull bare for two or three inches. The rest of his history I will give as he has written it...

"In the spring of 1844 I read "Mormon Unavail:, published by Lorenzo Snow and in the spring of 1845 I was employed as a clerk in a store belonging to Mortimer Treat, for about two months and then in the fall I worked in a shop making cheese boxes. I had attended school sixteen quarters to my remembrance. Father had said that he intended to give me a good education and I must look out for my own living or, in other words, it would be all he could give me. But he gave me the books "Comb, on the Constitution of Man" and "By Waylands Political Economy".

"I left my fathers residence Oct. 1, 1845, forenoon (age 21), left my relations at Nelson (fifteen miles south-east of Bainbridge) Oct. 2, 1845, shook hands with my eldest brother, Lorenzo, Oct. 2nd at dusk, and parted at Warren, Ohio. (Note: This is the last time he ever saw any of his family except his oldest sister who married Lorenzo Snow.) Took canal boat the same evening for Beaver, Pennsylvania, arrived there the next day about sun down. (Saturday evening unloaded and got a house and stayed until Thursday and started by steamboat for Cincinnati where I changed steamers bound for St. Louis, then on to Nauvoo. Stayed one week and one day, started to hunt up a school to hire out as a teacher. Traveled about for four weeks and found employment in Fairmount, Pike County, Illinois, at twelve dollars a month and board or fifty dollars per quarter and paid fourteen dollars for board to Mr. G. C. Case. a member of the Mormon Church. Worked the next summer at Mr. Daniel Corrie's in Fairmount at ten dollars per month and in the fall taught school for three months and in the winter in Brown County, Illinois near Fairmount (north). The next summer I worked at Fairmount farming on shares with James Wilson for one-fourth and they doing one-half the work. In the winter I taught school in the west of Fairmount for forty dollars per quarter and board around with the scholars. I had been playing ball with the scholars and went to the creek with Joseph Seybold to wash our hands. The scholars shut me out of the schoolhouse and said they would not let me in without a treat. I closed the school on March 16. 1848 and started for Mt. Pisgah. On the 22nd I crossed the Mississippi and on the 23rd I took the fever and ague. Arrived at String Town the 29th. Lay there shaking with the ague on the 30th. Started for Mt. Pisgah the 31st with a Mr. (or Brother) Folks and arrived at Pisgah April 9th. Went to Lorenzo Snow's and was baptized April 13, 1848 about 4 p.m. in the Grand River by Lorenzo Snow and confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in the evening by Lorenzo Snow. The ague began to wear off. Started April 18, 1848, for the valleys of the Mountains and on west. Had a turn of the dumb ague and stayed on Musquite creek one week and at Winter Quarters one week, also a week on Elk Horn. Left Elk Horn on June 1st. 1848, with a company of about one hundred wagons, crossed Loop Fork and stayed a week or more here, and I had about the last symptoms of the ague. Helped the companies all over except those behind H. C. Kimballs. Went on to a little above Chimney Rock where the companies broke up into smaller ones. Traveled about one hundred miles below Deering, crossed to the south side of the Platt river and stopped on Deer Creek to hunt one week, where Mrs. (Sister) Thompson died of child birth. Saw my first grizzly bear here.

"Arrived in the valley of the Great Salt Lake Sept. 22, 1848. Worked for Lorenzo Snow. Was ordained an Elder and joined the Elder's Quorum in June, 1849. At the October conference commencing Oct. 6, 1849, Lorenzo Snow was called to go on a mission to Italy and desired me to remain with his families, which I did with the promise of no other reward, only such as he received from his mission. He started October 19, 1849, and I remained with his families doing th
e best I could for them until Oct. 1, 1852. I worked for and brought some six hundred dollars for the families use besides the labor which I did getting wood, etc. for their use. 
"On Oct. 1, 1852, he discharged me and I left for Manti, Sanpete Valley and started to teach school there commencing Dec. 13, 1852. 
Adelia DeMill
John Prichard Squire
  
"On the 31st of December at about 4 p.m. Adelia DeMill and I were married by John Lowery, Sen., then Bishop of Manti. (age 28, wife age 20).
"February 10, 1851, I was ordained in the Quorum of Seventy. (I have in my possession that certificate.) On Feb. 22, 1852, I received my first washings and anointings in the Council House in Salt Lake City.

"Lorenzo Snow gave me one yoke of steers and one cow, two year old past, and calf and in the spring of 1853 he let me have twelve common plates, three deep plates, one platter and two bowls. Also some knives and forks, spoons and cotton cloth to the amount of fifty dollars worth. He told me that it should be to me as a mission for the time I stayed and cared for his families.

"My wife received her washings and anointings on Sept. 21, 1855, and we were sealed the next day by Pres. Brigham Young, Sept, 22, 1855.

"I was taken sick and my health began to fail me in 1858 and 1859. In 1860 I was down. I have not been able to do any work, except a day or two at a time and that light. I have taught school until now, February 1866. I was called out as a guard after Indians near Glen Cove starting August 12...returned Sept. 12, 1865 and not being able to return I was allowed to stay.

"I was elected to the office of First Lieutenant Company A November 18, 1865." (End of Quote.)

This ends the quotations of my grandfather's history as written by himself. The next few pages have been cut out of the note book. More was written as you can see the starting of each line on the margin left of the cut pages.

I know this, he was the first school teacher in Manti. I remember well the Log cabin school house that served also as their home. For desks logs were cut in half, and were from 15 to 18 inches in diameter with peg legs high enough to put your knees under them or partly so when sitting on the seats composed of sawed in two logs with shorter legs and about a foot in diameter. this was their home; but in the daytime, the school was held there. It was just back of grandmother's later home where she lived during my life time. A partly rusty sword in its scabbard hung next to the door. I used to belt it on and draw the sword which was rather long for me to draw as a kid. I am sure grandmother would have given it to me had I asked. Now I don t know what has become of it I wish I had a picture of the old place. The roof was not very steep and was of rough sawed boards, with boards over the cracks.

Grandfather had a hernia which caused his death. In those days they did not know what to do for them. He died April 25, 1872 at the age of forty eight and is buried in the Manti Cemetery.

John Prichard Squire & Adelia DeMill Squire's Tombstone

7 comments:

  1. This is so interesting. Thank you. I commented earlier on your "Squire Search 2012" entry. I am descended from John Prichard and Harriet Squire's younger brother, Franklin. He would have been 18 when they left. I don't know how deeply you've researched the siblings of your Mormon pioneers, but religious (what -- innovation?) must have run in this family, because Franklin became "an ardent adherent" of another unique Christian sect: He was an early leader of the Seventh Day Adventists in Michigan. He was prominent in his local congregation as well as the state-wide conference of Seventh Day Adventists. Some relatives from my grandma's family remain Seventh Day Adventists to this day. In my line, it ended with my grandma when she couldn't get my grandpa to go to church on a Saturday! :) (They began to attend an evangelical church and raised their children there.) I am a Quaker now, and a good number of Quakers were among Joseph Smith's first converts in New York. They believed in continuing revelation, so it was easier for them to believe that Smith had received a true message from God than it was for some other Christians. So there you go -- full circle! :)

    Thanks again for publishing all this information to your blog. Fascinating stuff, isn't it?

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie,
    Thanks so much for your comments! I love that you were able to verify your Aaron Squire connection. The whole point of posting this blog is so that we can learn about our relatives and from each other. It was interesting to learn about Franklin's religious background as well as your own. Does your family still live in Michigan?
    Keep in touch,
    Cyndee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, most of us do still live in Michigan. One of the most fun things about researching my family history has been the religious aspect. I became a Quaker as an adult, having no familiarity with it growing up, except as a religious group that was historically opposed to slavery. Imagine my surprise when I found that my paternal grandmother's family had deep roots in the early Quaker movement in England (some were contemporaries of founder George Fox), and about 20 of them came to Pennsylvania on William Penn's fleet in 1682 and 1683 to be a part of the "holy experiment" in the new world. It was amazing. Especially since Quakers are such meticulous recorders of information. I have all kinds of narrative information about my Quaker ancestors because they wrote down every bit of community business and kept it all! Once the family migrated to the "frontier" of mid-Michigan in the 1850's and '60's, they fell away from Friends' ways. There were no Quaker Meetings up where they settled, so it was only natural that they gravitated toward other churches or, in some cases, just fell away from church-going altogether. By my grandmother's generation, no one in our family even knew where they came from, let alone anything about their Quaker heritage. It's interesting how quickly stuff can be forgotten if people don't pass it down.

      Delete
    2. Just to be clear, the grandma in my first comment is my mother's mother. The grandma with the Quaker ancestors is my father's mother. I think it's funny that I have Puritans on one side and Quakers on the other. The puritans were among the chief persecutors of Quakers back in the day.

      Delete
    3. Stephanie, I am fascinated by your knowledge of your family and religious history. You seem to have Quaker in your blood- right down to the meticulous record keeping. I would love to see how we connect as distant cousins. So we are both descendants of Aaron Squire and Elizabeth Prichard, correct? And then your line comes through Franklin Squire and Eliza Ann Harrington, but which child of theirs did you descend?

      Delete
    4. I am descended from Franklin and Eliza's daughter, Adell Eliza Squire. She married Clarence Harpham, but she died after the birth of their 2nd child, at only 22. Adell and Clarence's oldest child, Bertha Harpham, was raised by Franklin Squire and his 3rd wife. (Clarence seems to have moved away after Adell's death, although his parents lived near the Squires and were part of Franklin's congregation, so she had contact with both sets of grandparents.) Bertha married Clarence Joseph Fraser and was widowed quite young. Their son, Alexander Franklin Fraser was the father of my maternal grandmother. (So he was my great-grandfather.) Let me know what that makes you and me. :)

      I *do* tend to keep good records, lol! I try to have good sources for my information. :) Did I mention that I was going to visit the New England Genealogical Society Library in early April? I probably found some stuff in Boston that would interest you (unless you already have it). I'll take a look at what I found from this line and see if there is anything you don't already have.

      Delete
    5. It appears that we are 4th cousins 2 times removed:) Our common ancestors are Aaron Squire and Elizabeth Prichard. I descend from John Prichard Squire (Franklin’s brother) & Adelia DeMille. John Prichard Squire Jr. & Cannie Kenney, Loren DeLance Squire (whose history and genealogy that I have been posting for the past month) & Amelia Sanders, and finally their son, my dad, DuWayne Squire. I love how technology has shrunk our world so that I can be conversing with my distant cousin in Michigan. I would love if you could share what you found on our common lines from Boston! Thanks!

      Delete