Saturday, March 23, 2013

Loren DeLance Squire Family History Chapter 5

I wrote on the Tullgreen and Kenney lines back in September and included the following excerpt regarding the spelling of my Great-Grandma's name:
On the Western States Marriage Index it shows her name as Kanney Charistina Kenney. At this point, I was beginning to understand the confusion of Cannie's name. I found her in the United State Census records in 1910 as Christina Squier, in 1920 as divorced Christina Squire, and in 1930 as Christina Peterson.I found it interesting that my Grandpa writes at the end of this chapter:

So far I haven't found anything shady about the family tree...
Nowhere in his history does he note that his mother divorced, but the data from census, marriage records and death dates show that she did get a divorce from my great-grandfather. She married Frederick Petersen in 1922 and John P. Squire did not die until 1932, which is the same year her second husband passed away. I also find it interesting that Cannie is buried next to her second husband, Frederick Petersen, rather than by my Great-Grandfather John P. Squire.
Be certain to scroll to the bottom to see some great pictures!

CHAPTER FIVE
THE KENNEY ADD TULLGREN LINE

Parley Kenney and his wife, Ruth Hutchens came from Maine to the State of Massachusetts to make their home and there in Sutton, Worchester County, on July 7, 1815 they had a son born unto them and gave him the name of Loren E. Kenney (after whom I was named). He married Hanner [Hannah] Nickols [Nichols] a daughter of Robert Nickols and Mary Appleton, and who was born March 27, 1812. Their first child, a daughter and named Ellen, was born Sept. 10, 1843 and they had a son named Albert born March 29, 1846 that died in infancy. [LDS Sources show that Albert died at the age of 15 in 1861.]I have no record of how Loren E. Kenney got in touch with the church, but he was with the saints in Iowa and there in July of 1846 he joined the Mormon Battalion, soon after their son had died. He left for Fort Leavenworth with the Battalion on July 20, 1846, leaving his wife and daughter nearly three years old.

There are many histories of the march of the Mormon Battalion and its many hardships. However, they arrived in San Diego on Jan. 29, 1847. He assisted in making adobies there for buildings. They went from San Diego to Los Angeles where the members of the Battalion received their honorable discharge from the U. S. Army on July 16, 1847. Some of the members decided to stay and work until the next spring in California to get more funds. However, a group left for the east and they arrived in Salt Lake Oct. 16, 1847 nearly three months after the first pioneers had arrived. History lists grandfather Kenney in that group. I can find no record of how his wife Kanney got to Utah and don't know if he went back after her or not. It is a fact that they had another son born in Salt Lake on Nov. 22, 1852 and died in infancy. [LDS Sources show that he died October 1862.] He is reported to have helped make the first adobies in Salt Lake Valley for the building of homes.


Sometime in 1849 Loren E. Kenney married a second wife by the name of Mary Ann Tucker, who came from Kanesville, Iowa. Their 4th child was a son, born April 9, 1857 in Fillmore, Utah and given the name of Amasa Kenney. He married Kanney Christene Tullgren in Spring City, Utah and in 1875 and she was born in Spanish Fork, Utah August 16, 1858.
Kanney Christene Tullgren was a daughter of Axel Tullgren, who was born in Sweden, April 11, 1826 and had lived in Holland and Denmark before coming to the U.S. I have always understood that he was a Norwegian and I do know that he had written his life's history in Norwegian and that a grandson, Alford Larson, has it, but had not had it translated the last I heard. He married Ellen Nielson who was born March 11, 1822 and they came to Salt Lake in 1855, moved from there to Spanish Fork and then on to Spring City in 1863. I remember him well. He was a small man with a full beard and very active. A Carpenter by trade and Spring City residents tell how he did much of the building of their meeting house in labor and donated much of the cash cost. I went to Spring City for a celebration of his ninetieth birthday and found him up in the top of an old apple tree cutting out the dead wood. He came scampering down like a kid to greet me He knew the scriptures better than anyone I ever knew. I often would open the bible or book of Mormon and read a verse and he would tell me just the chapter and verse, often finishing quoting the verse I had started to read. He is the only grandparent I ever saw on my mother's side of the family, the others having died before I was born. He died on Feb. 7, 1924 at the age of 98 and is buried in Spring City near his wife.

Amasa Kenney and his wife Kanney were the parents of two children. First, Amasa, Jr. who married Annis Hansen and they made their home in Gunnison where they raised four children, two boys and two girls. Their second child, a daughter, was born Jan. 12, 1879 in Spring City and given the name of Kanney Christene Kenney. Her mother died ten days after she was born and her father drew up a contract with her dead mother's sister, Lena Tullgren Larson (who later married Moroni Bradley) to have her take and raise this baby girl as her own. (This agreement is in my possession). In this Agreement her father states that her name shall be Kanney Christene Kenney. Many records spell Kanney as Canny and Christene as Christena. This agreement was made and signed on Jan. 30th 1879 when mother was 18 days old. Lena Larson had a baby son near mother's age and she raised them on her breast as twins. My mother had a pretty rough life as a child as her aunt's husband run off and left her with her family along with the additional child she had taken to raise. She was the only mother my mother ever knew and we called her Grandma Bradley, at about the time my mother married my father, she [Grandma Bradley] married Moroni Bradley, a widower. She was also known at times as Aunt Lena.

On Jan 8, 1897,my father, John P Squire, being a widower at the age of forty with two children, Leona age nearly eight and Gilbert five and a half, married my mother, Kanney Christene Kenney who was four days short of being eighteen. So my young mother had a family to start with. Father owned his home and a good farm three miles south of Manti. Father was a hard worker and a good provider and was known everywhere for his honesty.

So far I haven't found anything shady about the family tree...


The back row shows John P. Squire's children from his first marriage, Anna Leona (with her spouse, Charles Phillip Johnson) and Ludwig Gilbert
The front row shows my grandfather, Loren DeLance, my
 Great-Grandparents, John P. Squire & Canney Christena Kenney, along with their other two children, Adrien and Canny
It is interesting to note the ten year age difference between Kanney/Canney and her step-daughter Anna Leona.    
L to R Back: Loren D., Leona, Gilbert
L to R Front: Adrien, Canny in about 1904

Canny, Adrien, and Loren D.

Canny, Loren D., Adrien, Canney Christena Squire Peterson











































No comments:

Post a Comment